Wednesday 11 September 2013

D.I.Y Inspiration- Washi tape



Today I am showing a nifty product and how to use it to make pretty things.

I have been lucky this year that I have received a few different washi tapes as freebies from various events.  I had heard of and seen loads of pinterest pins showing designs and uses, but had never used it myself.

Originally designed and made in Japan , there are now companies all over the world who manufacture their own designs. It has a masking tape type of texture and is made from paper, it is however extremely durable and strong. Because there are not many chemicals used in the manufacturing process the tape is generally safe to use on most things and does not leave a residue when removed. They are acid free and have become indispensable  for scrapbookers and crafters.

 Locally Washi-Bug is a manufacturer(and the one my tape come from). They even have decor ready versions that are wide enough to use on walls and furniture.



Today I decided to break out my tapes and show some very simple uses and applications of this fantastic stuff.

It can be used on just about any surface, and if you make a mistake or want to reuse, most of the time you can lift and restick.

To me the simplest application is for gifting- use it on tags and wrapping paper or gift boxes to make a special statement, you can be as creative as you want, or have time for.



I think one of the biggest ways it can be useful is for events and decor. Can't find candle holders that match your colours?

washi tape them!



Want to make plain (and cheaper) vases, plates etc look a bit more colourful or cohesive?

Washi tape them!



Party favors stumping you? Or a simple present with a personal touch?

Washi tape them!


Even cutlery can be made more stylish and fun.

Washi tape them!


Imagine a wedding using washi tape? Invites and thank-you cards instantly linked. Place cards and orders of service brightened without spendy colour printing. Picture frames decorated without messy paint. Vases, candle holders and napkin rings all brought instantly into theme by simply using this tape.

Seriously just search "washi tape" on pinterest and see the multitude of uses people have come up with for this product! Amazes me!

Generally craft, scrap-book and stationary stores will stock washi-tape, but also search online for SA manufacturers and stockists.

Hope you have been inspired and decide to try some washi-tape D.I.Y for yourselves. Link to pics of your tries in the comments if you do!

much love and shimmies


No comments:

Post a Comment